Upcoming Veterans Tribute of Oakland Township Events
| Nov |
Honorary Paver Installation
We received our fall order of Honorary Pavers the other day, and we will be installing them this weekend or next weekend, weather permitting. So if you have placed an order since April, your pavers will be installed before Veterans Day.
| Nov |
Veterans Day 2021
The VTOT will hold a short ceremony on Veterans Day, Thursday, November 11th at the Tribute site starting at about 6:30PM. We will recite the Pledge of Allegiance, make some brief remarks, and share fellowship with Veterans, their families and anyone who attends. We plan to have a small warming fire and warm drinks. We hope to see you there.
Day of Remembrance - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
The VTOT invites the public to attend a day of Remembrance and Family for the 20th Anniversary of 9/11 on Saturday, September 11th from 2pm to dusk. The event will include live music, food and drink, two Moments of Remembrance and patriotic videos for the whole family. The event will be free, but Donations to the VTOT will be greatly appreciated. And if you order an Honorary Paver that day, it will be installed at the Tribute by Veterans Day in November. Stay tuned for additional information!
Spring Beautification at the Tribute
The VTOT will be doing spring beautification at the Tribute on
two Saturday mornings in May. We invite anyone who would like to help this worthy cause to join us for a couple hours - starting at 10am - on either of these two dates:
Saturday May 1, 2021 - We will have 4 yds. of compost delivered. We need folks to push aside the mulch and then lay the compost and repush the mulch back in position followed by tidying the beds for planting. Cleaning
up the rose beds, and fertilizing where needed. Please bring your gardening tools and a wheelbarrow if possible.
Saturday May 22, 2021 – We will be planting annual flowers in Monument Circle and the Flagpole Garden. Please bring shovels and gardening tools.
You can find your paver's location in the "Find My Paver" search tool.
New orders received by March 1st, 2022 will be installed by Memorial Day2022.
VTOT Tribute News
- We are saddened to report that the Tribute was vandalized on the night of October 8th by someone or some group who destroyed the large etched glass inside the Coast Guard Service Panel. The Oakland County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident. The VTOT is offering a reward for information that leads to the arrest of the person or persons who are responsible. If you have information that may be relevant to the investigation, please contact the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, Oakland Township Substation at 248-652-4617.
- While our insurance will cover most but not all of the very significant cost of cleanup and repairs, which will take some time, we also have to install a professional security system at the Tribute. If you would like to make a donation to assist us with these efforts, please click on the “DONATIONS” menu at the top of this page, then choose one of the two options under “DIRECT DONATION” which will link you directly to our account at the Community Foundation of Greater Rochester where you can make the donation. You will receive our heartfelt thanks, and an gift acknowledgement for your records.
- The VTOT would like to thank the hundreds of people who attended the event to remember the 20th Anniversary of 9-11 on Saturday, September 11th. We remembered that tragic day in American history with some somber reflections of the loss of life that day, but mostly we celebrated the American Spirit that unified the Country in its aftermath and we honored the proud service of First Responders and Service Members since that date.
The VTOT was proud to dedicate the 2nd of five historical markers in Monument Circle last night, May 25th, at the Tribute. We wish to thank Richard Shore for his service in the US Navy. And the VTOT is eternally grateful to the Shore Family for their patriotism and generosity in sponsoring the Constitution Marker.
Click to enlarge
Click to view full image
Help Support the Tribute
- Monday, May 25th: 11:00 am Memorial Day Parade & Dedication Ceremony. The parade route will be on Adams Road from
Van Hoosen Middle School north to Veterans Tribute of Oakland Township, at 5236 Adams Road. The parade
will include marching bands, Veterans Groups, floats and military vehicles and even a historic plane flyover! Attendance is
free and open to the public.
Parking is available at the Van Hoosen Middle School (North of Tienken and Adams), Crown of Life Lutheran Church (Dutton and Adams)
and Oakland Church (Silverbell and Adams).
The VTOT will raise the US Flag at the Site when the Parade reaches the Tribute. This year the VTOT will also unveil and dedicate
the first of five
US historical markers at the site which will prominently display importance documents from US history.
Each is made from the same granite design as the main Tribute and will help educate visitors about our country’s history
during their visit. Click here to see an illustration and learn more.
Finally, engraved pavers ordered earlier this year will be installed prior to the parade, and the VTOT will also be taking orders
for engraved brick pavers to be installed this fall.
- Support Phase II of the Tribute:
The VTOT Board has three goals in Phase II. First, to maintain the Tribute and the grounds of the Site in outstanding condition, appropriately honoring those who have served. Second, to install additional monuments at the Site which expand the educational aspect of the Tribute about our nation’s founding and history. Third, to raise an endowment fund that will provide the means to maintain the site in perpetuity.
Click the brochure on the right for illustrations of the elements of Phase II and how you can Sponsor them.
To learn more about contributing to the next phase of the plan, please contact Directors Terry Gonser email@example.com
or Tim Reese firstname.lastname@example.org for information. Or give us a call @ (248) 608-2804.
Interested in using the Tribute site for your civic or patriotic event?
The Tribute site is available for your patriotic or civic event outside of Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veteran's Day.
Reservations are available up to six months in advance, and are subject to approval
by the Board of Directors. Please use the Usage Form to request a date for your event.
Scan and email completed forms to email@example.com
Who We Are
Honoring all Veterans of our Armed Forces and their role in preserving our freedom.
The Veterans Tribute of Oakland Township (VTOT) is a non-profit corporation chartered by the state of Michigan and
created solely for the construction and operation of a tribute in Oakland Township to the United States
Armed Forces and Military Veterans. The tribute is located at 5236 Adams Road, Oakland Township, Michigan.
The VTOT is led by a volunteer, unpaid Board of Directors who are all
residents of the Township:
- Timothy Reese, Colonel, US Army (Retired)
- Mike Whitefoot, Lt. Colonel, US Air Force (Retired)
- Terry Gonser, former Supervisor of Oakland Township, 2012-2016
- David Sokol, Veteran, US Army
- Dennis DaSilva, Veteran, US Air Force.
- Mark Gerhard, Colonel, US Marine Corps (Retired)
- Rebecca Gonser
- Rob Cromwell
Donor of the day
The VTOT would like to recognize the team at G2 Consulting Group in Troy, MI. G2 joined the project team by generously agreeing to donate their time and effort to complete the soil engineering for the site preparation at the Tribute. We'd like to give them a hearty "Way to Go!"
Tribute of the day